Sunday 20 April 2014

Shabby Chic

I am loving Easter weekend.
The weather hasn't been wonderful, but it's been heaps better than the previous 10 days so it is looking pretty good in comparison - sort of like when your son finally tidies his room and you tell him how wonderful he is - when he should have been keeping it tidy anyway.

I have been able to spend more time doing some card-making and looking at other peoples cards on blog challenges. Sometimes I just feel daunted by how creative people are, but then I decide to emulate rather than surrender ... it's worth it for the satisfaction of doing something different, and something you feel pleased with.

The Just Add Ink challenge this week is a sketch which looked fun and I could see lots of possibilities for it.
I was thinking that if I had time it would be interesting to make 6 different cards based on the sketch because sometimes I get almost catatonic with confusion because I have so many bits of ideas and want to make it the best it can be. 

As a result of which I have bits and pieces of 'worked' paper that, although nice in their own right, have not been turned into a card because I've not been sure where to take them. But I keep them all on the off chance that I'll find the rest of the inspiration one day.

Meanwhile, back to this sketch - I decided to do something I haven't tried before at attempted a shabby chic card. And I was quite happy with the result. And it all came from my stash.


I started with the script paper by using an Elizabethan-looking font and Shakespeare's Sonnet 116, Then tore it and inked it with distress inks. 
The dark card in the background is a really dark purple that I always have in my stash, The top panel is a piece of Basic Gray and the bottom is a piece of blue card that I embossed and inked about with until it looked more relaxed. The lace is from my sewing stash, the flower I made & then added the skeleton leaves, and some branches from a memory box die. I inked and lightly glittered the branches. 

My daughter thought it looked great and wants it for a friend's birthday next month, so I will pop a birthday sentiment on it then. 

I know there are some faults with it - but I'm not saying ... but on the whole I'm happy with it as a first attempt at shabby chic, so thank-you 'Just Add Ink' design team for giving me the inspiration to push out of my comfort zone a little.

Well - my Easter break ends tomorrow, so I'm off to make another card
Cheers, Dianne

6 comments:

  1. Dianne, this is so pretty. I love all the delicate details, and am so pleased you were inspired by our challenge this week. Thanks for joining in the fun at Just Add Ink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've created a lovely shabby card!! I really like the addition of the lace and the pretty flower :)

    Trish
    JAI Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. You added some gorgeous shabby details Diane to make a lovely shabby chic card. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Shabby Chic card - I love all the texture in this card. Chantell JAI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful card Dianne. I particularly love the vintage scalloped lace coming out of the bottom and that flower is divine! Thanks for playing along at JAI this week. Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Love that you pull off this style so well. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete